My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Month is here

It's 11 a.m. and most of my chores are done for the day.  Think I'll kick back and work on some quilt squares.  I decided to run out and do my four errands early.  There is a definite difference in traffic and store crowds if you choose to be an early bird.

I stopped at Joanne's to buy a pattern for Jan Higdon. That's one store you can always count on standing in line when you want to pay.  I didn't have to this morning, thank goodness.  Seems like a lot of the places I shop have their own little "customer service" routines that they think will endear us to them.  Joanne's clerks have been instructed to comment on whatever it is you're purchasing.  They'll either say the material is pretty or they'll ask you what you're making. Sometimes you get behind a person who thinks the clerk really wants to know in detail so they'll chat away and I'll stand in line fuming.  I bought a wedding dress pattern this morning.  The clerk says: 

"Oh, are you making this?"
"No."
"No? So, what are you planning on doing with it?"
"I plan to buy the pattern."
Silence.

I'm sure she thought I was her first crabby customer for the day.  And I guess I was.  My legs were already hurting and that usually contributes to me wanting to get out of the store and back to my car. But I didn't bother sharing that  with her.

My next stop was the bread store.  The lady was busy stocking shelves and said:
"Let me know if you can't find what you're looking for?"
"Okay. I can't seem to find a boyfriend."

We laughed and she gave me two items on the free cart when I paid.

Next was Wal-Mart.  The "greeter" is pretty much the extent of customer service there.  I ended up walking from one end of the store to the other looking for a specific item. Didn't see a clerk once!  Except.....in the dairy section in the back of the store....They were having a morning meeting.  The doofus leading the chat said: "We have three people from the Sequim store training here today.  Steve, Bob, and ahhhhh...I can't think of the other person's name."  Then he continued on about social networking and how they really needed to watch it as corporate frowned on stuff like that.  Not sure what that had to do with but by then, I was off to find another elusive thing on my list.

I had less than a quarter tank of gas so I decided to get the Safeway stop over and done with. I hate buying gas. I hate having to try and find a place in line.  I managed to drop over $40 and then headed home.  Plan to stay home too!

Yesterday I spent a few hours wrapping Christmas presents.  I  didn't put any ribbons on yet as just getting the  paper on took all my energy.  I only have four to mail this year.  I hauled in a small armful of decorations but will probably do the house up in a week or two. My sister-in-law, Rosemary Keene, made this wall hanging for me on her fancy machine. I sure do love it. The snowman on the left has been a part of my Xmas decorations for several years. Probably back to the 60's even.  70's for sure.

Got my second Christmas card today.  Cute one, Liz!  I kinda miss doin' my Christmas letter this year but I couldn't think of much to yak about that I hadn't already shared on my blog.

I stocked up on all the ingredients I needed to make my cookie and fudge packages next week.  I plan on making 4 kinds of cookies.  Well, that's it for now.  Below are the soccer pictures of Maddie and Hunter this year.  Basketball practice is underway now.



No comments:

Post a Comment