My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, December 4, 2011

3 weeks 'til Christmas

I've been so discouraged at not being able to finish all the books I've wanted to read that I knew I needed to alter some daily habits.  Most of my reading has been at the end of the day while sitting in bed right before turning out the light.  This wasn't getting me very far into chapters as I generally nodded off quickly.  Since finding television entertainment these days is pretty hit and miss, I've started to bring my books back out into the living room by my recliner.  I know that doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do but it does have its challenges for somebody who hasn't been that accustomed to sitting down with her feet up until after supper. 

I always seem to think of one more thing I have to do and I hop up and run from chore to chore. I swear I don't see how I can be this FAT when I never seem to sit down for any length of time.  Okay. I'm rationalizing away my overeating but it was worth a try.  Ha Ha

Yesterday I finished a book called 'The Last of the Outlaws--The life and music of Gail Davies'. It wasn't a thin book (485 pages) and I found it fascinating.  I ordered it off Gail's website and a CD of her music was included.  I'm sure one of the reasons I was so enthralled with her story is that I remember her as a little 7th grader when she lived in our neighborhood back in 1960.  Her older brother was in my sister's class and is pictured with the freshmen in my senior annual.  He was a pretty cute guy and apparently ladies were attracted to him until the very end.

Gail has rubbed elbows with all the country singers that I've admired for years, and it was interesting to read about her travels around the world as well. Her son, Chris Scruggs (grandson of Earl of Flatt & Scruggs) is a musician as well. I found this video of him on YouTube.



A few days ago I asked my granddaughter to choose a movie from their collection of something she thought I'd enjoy. She chose 'That's what I am' starring Ed Harris.  And I did like it too!  So typical of Maddie to choose this kind of story.  Had to do with junior high kids being bullied and how they overcame it.  Maddie's always been careful of other peoples' feelings and I'm proud of her.

Yesterday when I started looking for something in my paperwork (yet again!) I decided it was time, once and for all, to sort through my various notes and "things to keep" so I can put my hands on what I want when I want it.  I've got a box sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me and I suspect it's going to take the better part of the morning.  But it'll be fun once I get going.

Once that's taken care of, I'll resume the quilt work I've begun.  I finished listening to an audio book of James Herriott's  Animal Stories yesterday.  Terrific book by the way!

Hmmm...since it's not raining or windy and there's no ice on the street, maybe I'll pull my bike out and ride around the neighborhood for a few minutes.   I might as well take a stab at improving other areas of my day to day life while I'm at it.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up?  Last night I was close to dropping off and I was awakened by this loud crash of a very large and heavy picture or mirror falling off the wall.  It crashed with a boom, my eyes popped open and I yelled "What the hell was that?!"    I laid there a minute wondering if it was a premonition of the ending of my life (I do stuff like that) and then I went back to sleep.

Ok. I'm heading to the garage to pump up my bike tires before I talk myself out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment