My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rainy December Day

Made a couple of quick runs to the other side of town this morning.  Decided it was time I broke down and bought some replacement heads for my electric toothbrushes.  I've probably been using the same heads for two years or more--just because I think the replacements are too damn expensive!  Sometimes my thriftiness is a joke.  Every Christmas I hear the story Jen loves to tell about how easy it was to peek at their Christmas gifts under the tree because I was so bent on saving scotch tape.  I used so little (and seldom bothered with ribbon which I thought was even more of a waste of money) so opening the end of a gift to see what was inside was a cinch.  She especially loves to tell the one about how she barely touched one of her gifts and the whole thing opened up like a spring flower.  All because I was trying to save a little tape. 

I wish I had looked more closely at some of the toys I got for Christmas this year.  I could have picked up the right size batteries while I was at Walmart.  My label maker needs half a dozen AAA's but I thought it was AA's which I have enough of.
It's really a cute label maker but looks like I'm going to have to read up on it first.  It even has print cartridges.  I also got this neat hanging garden ornament.  It looks like the ball is going up and down as the wind blows it but it's actually not.  Oh, my!  That was a bad sentence.

I got two night lights this year and I intend to use them both year round.  Seems like I get up a lot more in the middle of the night and I need these lights to lead me back to bed safely. Ha Ha

Looking over my list of chores today, I had about 13 items. I managed to get about 4 things crossed off.  The gray damp day is urging me to kick back and take it easy today so that's what I intend to do. I did pull the large Xmas bins into the back bedroom from the garage and tomorrow I'll put on an audio book and start sorting and wrapping the decorations. 

I finally figured out how to load staples in my staple gun so maybe I'll take a crack at covering my dining room chairs tomorrow.  Dinner tonight is left over green bean casserole and this homemade egg noodle soup I fixed a few days ago.

Susan stopped in to use my computer and printer for a job she's applying for. Brought me an old PT pennant that I had given her several years ago. It's an oldie too. I remember hanging it on my bedroom wall as a teenager.  At least I think it's that old.  For sure it was a part of the wall decor when Sharon Sofie and I shared an apartment in Portland. (And that was a million years ago) I wonder if it's worth anything.

I picked up this nice desk calendar at Walgreens today. Only $2. I thought perhaps it might help me keep the computer area a little tidier.  I'm forever writing reminder notes on this and that and by the end of the day, this whole desk looks like a pig sty.  Only thing I don't like is that my monitor now sits a little too far from my face.  I may put a side desk off to my left for the pad.
See that little gadget sitting on it?  That's a return address stamper Mary and Andy bought for me. Jen got one too.  It really makes a nice stamp. I'm going to mail off pictures tomorrow just so I can stamp it on envelopes.
I had to laugh a couple days ago.  Jenni told me that Wayne finally discovered the computer. The twins and Jen have been the only ones to use the computer these past years but someone (probably Maddie) showed Wayne what he was missing on YouTube.  Wayne is big on music--especially the 70's and 80's.  Anything you could possibly want to watch is available. Jenni said he stayed up until 3 a.m. on Christmas eve--unable to leave the monitor and all the entertainment at his fingertips.
Here's a cartoon I got from Les Walden this afternoon. I love animal cartoons.
And here's a favorite video of mine.  Even with the controversy he caused, this guy was a heck of a performer.


And in the spirit of the holiday, we can't forget Chuck Berry......

No comments:

Post a Comment