My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Busy Day around the house and yard

I walked over to Jen's about 9 a.m. to pick up Sammy.  I was about a half block from my yard and I knew the walk was going to be a tough one.  Some mornings my hips hurt so bad, I wonder how I'm still on my feet.  Halfway between our houses is a fenced yard holding one large black dog and about 4 VERY YAPPY pomeranians.  They go ballastic the minute they see anyone on the street.  Bet the neighbors love that.

It just cracks me up everytime I get near Jenni's front door and the dog realizes I'm there.  He gets this very weird bark going and you can't help but laugh.  It's not his usual bark-bark-bark that he does at everybody he sees or anytime he hears a doorbell; it's more of a throaty laughing (almost talking) bark from the back of his throat. Hard to explain but he does it every single solitary time.  It's almost like he's saying thank you, thank you, thank you for coming!  Ha Ha

As we left Jenni's yard, a neighbor dog came over to say hello.  While they took time to smell each others butts, I snapped a couple pictures with my phone.

Walking back through the woods was a lot easier for some reason. Once I got home I decided I was going to pull out those scruffy leaves in the front yard and dig up the bulbs.  I didn't get the bulbs replanted in the backyard yet; maybe tomorrow.  I did go over to the vacant lot and wheel a couple loads of rocks back to my place to line the flower bed in the front. Here's before and after......


I have this little "stick" tree that my daughter made up for my 50th birthday as a money tree surprise for me.  I've used it several times through the years, decorating it was little spring ornaments and halloween and Thanksgiving pumpkins.  Today, I wrapped tiny little lights all over it and stuck it in the front window.  Here's how it looks not plugged in.

Pretty darn ugly, wouldn't you say? Ha!  Here's how it looks when lit, however....


That's it on the left in this shot I took from the front yard.  I sat out just a few more decorations today. Had to hang my Elvis boot, of course, and I always set out my "soldiers" near the door.  Sue made these for me several years ago. They're about 16" high and made of material. Stuffed tight enough so they stand easily. 

My habit of needing to rearrange constantly seems to be getting worse as I age.  I've done this since I was a kid, though, so too late to try and correct my OCD now.  I moved the house plants (I think I have maybe 8) from my bedroom to the main bathroom.  I never use that tub and I've always thought it was wasted space.


In 1968, my then husband and I switched homes with his brother, Don and his wife, Nancy.
We were both renting and their house was a little bigger. They had one son and we had just had our second daughter.  The landlords were agreeable so we packed up both homes and traded.  I always loved the way Nancy fixed up her bathroom with the shower curtains tied back on both sides.  I did that here but the curtains are actually curtains and not shower curtains.

Don and Nancy have three sons and lots of grandkids now. They live in Newark, California, and while I never get to see them much anymore, we do keep in touch via Facebook and email.  I always liked all my brothers and sisters-in-law.  Here's Don and Nancy today...


I got three Christmas cards today. One had a photo and Christmas letter in it. One complained that my postcard was nice but they wanted my usual letter too.  Made me wish I had done one now.  Next year I will.  Well, maybe.  Postage is going up again. Maybe I'll keep in touch via email with all those who have computers and just send cards and letters to those folks still avoiding the world of technology today.

Had to run up to the library again today as a book I requested was in.  Apparently you can order five books a year that you want if they aren't available in the system.  They won't always buy them but sometimes.  I was surprised to see my "new" book--The Group by Mary MacCarthy.  From the 60's.  The books by my bed are piling up--Life of Pi, Youngblood Hawke, Dish, The Numbers Game, among others.

Have to send out a big THANK YOU  to Bill & Mary Koepke in Hawaii.  They sent me a very generous gift box. Right now I'm sitting here devouring chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

And prayers for my cousin, Lee Arey, who was flown to Harborview Hospital in Seattle this morning.  His ticker is trying to ruin his holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment