My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mid week activities

Sitting here having a cup of tea.  Am scheduled to get a stress test at 11 at the hospital. They suggested no caffeine before so I bypassed my morning cup of coffee for tomato juice and a bagel.  That just wasn't working for me so I made a cup of tea and had a piece of divinity.  Yeah, that's right. Candy for breakfast.  I never did claim to be all that bright.

I decided to take a stab at making divinity after I saw on Facebook that Vernie Colt had done up her recipe.  Vernie, by the way, is not someone I especially care for right now.   We play scrabble on Facebook and in the game just started, she used all her tiles TWICE giving her 140 points.  It's hard enough catching up when she manages to use all 7 tiles once but when she does it twice, I'm doomed.

I couldn't recall if I'd ever made divinity before.  I must have at some point because I love the stuff!  My aunt Lillian used to make it every Xmas and we looked forward to digging into it.  I went online to look for an easy recipe and while it whipped up okay for me, I never could find a candy thermometer so I guessed at what I was doing and hoped for the best.  Not the easiest dessert to make.  I stirred in a few walnuts and crushed candy cane and set them out on the utility porch overnight hoping they'd get a little stiff.
I poured half the batter in a pan and cut in squares (much easier) and I have them in the fridge for now.  They taste pretty darn good but are a tad sticky.  I'm satisfied, though.

I stopped at McDonalds and treated the kids to chicken sandwiches yesterday at noontime.  I ordered a diet Coke along with my sandwich.  Knew I shouldn't have as I'm trying to avoid cola altogether but it's been a rough week emotionally and I need all the comfort I can get.  I knew it was probably going to cause calf cramps in bed and sure enough, right on schedule.....they hit about 6:30 a.m.  I knew there had to be some reason why those cramps would leave me alone for weeks on end and then bother me several nights in a row.  I honestly think it's cola drinks.

Jenni sent me a picture she had taken of Sammy and Santa a while back.  I printed it off so I could send a copy to my sister, Janie.

Janie, by the way, got a few orders for her bags and I thank those of you who sent in your request. Many liked the ones with a chicken and eggs on it so she went to buy more of that material while she could still get her hands on it.  She's also sold one of her backpack type bags.




If you want to place an order, she'd sure appreciate it. Write her at janieandnewman@yahoo.com for details.

Looked a little frosty outside this morning. I usually plug in the Xmas lights if it's still dark. I caught the birds feeding when I went to unplug them again.


My favorite picture on Facebook this morning was this one of pets catching a nap in the sun.

Last night I watched a couple episodes from that DVD I bought of 'Lost TV Shows'. Groucho Marx was hilarious on You Bet your Life.  And do you remember Jeff and Porky Brockway on the original 1954 Lassie series?  It starred Tommy Rettig, Jan Clayton,and George Cleveland as Gramps.  Also starring was Jeff's friend (Joey Viera in real life).

Here's a picture of Jeff & Porky on a publicity tour and another shot of Porky today.  You can read about him on IMDB.COM


Well, I guess I'll wash up a few dishes before I leave and then I can start right in to sewing quilt pieces when I get back.

 Only ten more days and we'll begin 2012.  It was a great year up until the past few days when things took a fast downward spiral which left our family in shock, despair, and utter sadness.
My daughter and her husband were in the process of adopting the cutest little girl you've ever seen.  They got her in March and celebrated her 3rd birthday this past September with a big party.  While waiting for the legal system to play its game with slow baby steps, the birth mother suddenly decided to change the rules and nullify the arrangement she'd already signed her name to.  Great legal system we have in this country to keep children safe and happy.  You read about stories like this but when you experience it yourself, the injustice of it all takes on a life of its own.

For months I was "forbidden" to share my new granddaughter's name and picture on my blog. I was allowed to share it privately in emails with friends and I did.  My daughter and her husband felt it was better to keep the matter off the public network until the final paperwork was sealed and filed.  None of us EVER expected this turn of events.  It not only sent waves of heartache through us but we'll all be forever gun-shy of trusting people and what comes out of their mouths.  Unhappy scenerio all around but hopefully time will heal and we'll learn from this experience.  Surely, there's a lesson somewhere in all this but I'll be damned right now if I know what it could possibly be.  Yep!  I'm plenty angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment