My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 30, 2012

Holding up the Train

Page from Fred Gwynne's book:

I told myself when I went to bed last night that this week I was going to ride my bike every single day.  I went out about 8 a.m. this morning and put in 25 minutes.  Was aiming for 40 but my knees hurt so much, I decided I'll try for 40 tomorrow.

The doctor's office called to give me the numbers on my recent blood work.  I prepared myself for the worst and couldn't believe my ears when she said everything looked good. Glucose, cholesterol, even tricglycerides which are always off the chart with me.  I asked her if she was sure she had my file in front of her.  I wonder how that happened.  I've been trying to eat better and exercise more but I didn't think I was doing that great of a job.  Certainly made my day, that's for sure. Now if I can just get some idea come Thursday of what this foot and leg cramping is all about.

Ran the dishwasher and washing machine and decided to sit down and work on my autobiography before I tackle that quilt project on the kitchen table.  I managed to finish up my childhood, teenage, college, and Portland days so tomorrow I can begin on my early days in California. Here's an excerpt from my page about my wedding......

Ruth Stapf acted as my maid of honor and my sister, Janie, and a friend from Standard Insurance, Carolyn Schweitzer, was a second bridesmaid. Her husband, Pete, stood up for John as best man even though they barely knew each other. I stayed overnight at Ruth’s house and dressed for my wedding that sunny but chilly Saturday morning in January. Ironically, I would end up renting this very house from Ruth’s parents twenty-two years later—four years after my 18-year marriage ended.

Friends attending included Mary Pearce, Loraine Bucknell, Carolyn Woodward, Linda Gillett, Barbara Blowers, Barbara Lee Smith, Sharon Lindsey, Sharon Cadero, and Ruth, of course. Absent friends included Sharon Sofie, Doris LaChance, Jean Tyler, Carol Rustad, and several classmates. I think everyone was scattererd at that time and traveling during winter (we did have snow the next day) was difficult. As I think back, I realize the only weddings I attended of my friends were those of Linda Gillett and Sharon Cadero. I’m sorry about that. I would have liked to have been at all of them.

Other people signing my guest book included family members: dad, and the Blankenships: Jim, Lillian, Linda, Jimmy, Les, Janie, Dana, George, Lorraine, Dale, Susan, and Barbara (married to Denny). Other relatives: Lee, Elaine, Lyall, Elva, and Bill & Dorothy Arey; Velna, Claude, and Lorraine Walker. Also, a teacher, Dorothy Meyers, Ruth’s folks, Fred & Violette Stapf, Marsha Hurd, Richard Rowzer, Fred & Louise Staeger, and the church ladies: May Luck, Lucy Christopher, Mrs. Ray Ellis and Mrs. Maxwell Loomis.

I didn’t get many pictures that day but I’m thankful for the ones I do have. My Girl Scout leader, Anita Yantz, made my cake as a gift. We had a short reception in the church basement where I had attended Sunday school years earlier and a second reception at my Uncle Jim’s house so liquor could be served. We led a car caravan through town honking horns and delighting in sharing our day with people on the street. My cousin, Linda, and her boyfriend, Rich Rowzer, drove our car while John and I sat in the backseat. Linda was thrilled because she figured people would think it was her and Rich that had got married. John and I left for our return drive to Portland, stopping at Chimacum Café for dinner. I was in a pink suit and he was in his tux. My wedding gown had been rented from a shop in downtown Portland for $25. It started to snow as we made our way around Hoods Canal and we decided to stop in Shelton at Mill Creek Motel to wait until morning as the roads were dangerous.

Two weeks later I had downsized my possessions to the things I couldn’t live without as we made arrangements for me to travel with three other Navy wives to San Diego.

I intend to go back and add more details later.  Memories come to mind as you're working along but I need to get the basic facts down first.  I'll also insert photos later. That will be the fun part. As I was struggling to remember downtown Portland places we frequented in 1963, I was tickled to find websites where people wrote their memories of favorite spots back in the day.  Places I'd forgot like the Tic Tok and Jolly Joans.

I'll have to ask Susie Bishop or Sharon Sofie if they recall the Corral out on Division. I vaguely think we went there a time or two.

Well, off to the kitchen.....

No comments:

Post a Comment