My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Keeping Stuff

Sometimes it's hard to sit down and force yourself to finish a project of sorting papers and "stuff" that keeps adding up in the catch-all box.  I kept getting distracted over and over again yesterday because I'd  stop and look this or that over, or reread a newspaper clipping, or greeting card, or study a picture.  It's even harder to pick and choose what is going back in the memorbilia save box (for the kids to toss when I'm dead). 

I'm still not totally contented with what I filed and how I filed it but I know part of the problem is being a virgo and we need things tidied up "just so." At least I made a little headway by putting various articles in plastic sheets inside a 3-ring binder.  Was interesting to me what I was ready to toss in the garbage and what I still had an attachment to.  I took pictures, of course.  I do have a blog, after all.  Hee Hee

 This little book will be a keeper for sure. My Aunt Velna drew it in 1925 or so and it shows my dad and his twin brother as they appeared then.  Even shows the old kitchen queen cupboard we used growing up and that I had raising kids.  Jenni uses it now.
 Velna was such a good artist.  One of the best ever!
 These are the booties that my first grandchild wore in 1989. Gotta keep those, of course!
 My baseball card collection and other cards from the 70's and 80's. Probably not worth much but someday maybe.....
 I don't think I've ever used my Elvis cards but there was no way I could throw the king in the garbage.
 This is a spoon from the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1933. The back says: Oneida Community Tudor plate.  I don't know where I got this spoon; probably a garage sale or thrift shop. Although I vaguely remember it being in my grandpa's house.  Not sure.

I'm amused all over again everytime I come across this cake topping from 1982.  I had a divorce party and this was on the cake.  I laughed a lot that night. We were at Margie Marshall's house although she was Margie Grondahl then.  I remember we somehow got ourselves locked out of the house and we had to crawl in a window to get back in---giggling the whole time.

I also browsed old photos. Noticed that some were barely hanging on so I decided to scan them and get reprints before they faded altogether.  I was mainly interested in the decorations in the background.  Also found it kind of fun to see all the furniture, curtains, clothes, and house decorations that I don't have any of anymore.
This was 1967 at dad & Mar's house on Cosgrove. I wonder if that dinette set was from when she lived at Admiralty Apts or if it was from Kuhn Street when I lived at home. We did have a table like that. The Redskin jacket on the chair would have been my step-brother, Steve's. Don't I look like the tired ole mom? That's Mary in the infant seat. I don't think they even sell those anymore.

 This picture caught my eye becaue of the guitar behind the couch. This was 1966. Had I stuck with practicing, I could probably be a damn good player today.  Sigh.... This is Susan with our puppy, Dee Dee,at our house in San Pablo
 This is the Kirkland house in probably 1969. That coffee table had a very heavy (and movable) marble top. I still have that white candy dish (a wedding present) but of course, I don't smoke Salems anymore.

 This is our San Pablo house again.  I actually wore sleeveless blouses then. I was always homesick in California. I see the pictures on the mantel are of our wedding day, my sister, her son, Eddie, and Susie's baby picture.  I see Salems are still being kept close at hand in a candy dish on the marble.  I stilll have that dish too. Another wedding present. I think both came from Eisenbeis' shop.
 I enlarged this one hoping I could see what books I had on the shelves. I'll have to study it more later. All I can see for sure is Information Please, Hotel, Kon Tiki, and the large Bible on the second shelf.  Yeah, I know...the things that keep me amused.
 Here's a picture of me and Mary Gaboury in the back yard of the San Pablo house. She came down to visit in 1966 I think it was.
This picture of the three girls was really fading fast.  It was one of those professional ones you have taken in Sears or some place like that.

Well, I think I'll go take a quick nap in the recliner.  Woke up at 5 a.m. with a bad foot cramp again. There's a new fawn in the neighborhood today. Her and her mother have come onto the lawn twice. Have noticed an increase in birds too. Goldfinch, wrens, robins, quail, crows, and a couple others I'm not sure of.  I'm going to Appleby's with Jen, Wayne, and the kids tonight. The twins are 12 today and  got smart phones for their birthday.  Needless to say, they were VERY HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment