My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 9, 2012

Sweatin' to the Oldies

I just put in 90 minutes of yard work out front, intending to weed the little garden/bird area outside my office window.  It's not a large area (maybe 8x10) but after an hour and a half, I felt like I owned an extensive estate!  I also wire brushed the bird bath and cleaned up one of the bird feeders a bit. Sometimes I'm like a dog that has to keep going in circles to find a good place to lay down.  I changed my top three times before I felt comfortable.  I needed something with a pocket so it would hold my Ipod music.  Can't work without tunes, 'ya know.

I thought when I first went out there that it seemed a tad chilly, but it didn't take any time at all for my body to realize...no...it was quite warm.  I'm happy it's done and later today (or tomorrow) I'll begin work on sections of the backyard.  Have to remember no matter how "into it" I get, I have to pace myself and not try to do too much at one time.

The backyard will take days to complete; mainly because I'm going to rearrange where I have stuff. When I run out of ideas in the house of new places to put things, I just tootle on outside and rearrange birdfeeders, cement blocks, rocks, and knickknacks.  It never looks all that magnificent when I'm done, but it is different and I am getting my exercise in.

I noticed this morning that hummingbirds were coming to a red flower that just bloomed in a pot on my porch.  I have some in the front too but the deer used to eat them so I may try to dig them up and put them in the backyard so they'll blossom and grow. 
I also noticed that the red/silver streamer thingie I bought at Wild Birds wasn't lost to the wind afterall.  I found it sitting in the gutter still attached to the eave.  Yay!  I've moved it to another spot on the porch that may be more protected from the wind.


I'm sitting here having an iced coffee right now. Will pick up Hunter in an hour and a half and then we'll go pick up Maddie at the high school who is attending a volleyball camp.  Maybe we'll make a McDonalds run afterwards..and Walmart.  I need a couple of items.

I couldn't find much of interest on TV last night so I watched a movie on Netflix. I'd seen it before but it was still entertaining.  Cider House Rules.  Finished a book by Richard Paul Evans too.  Second in the Walk series. Now I have to go looking for the third.  I think I'll buy it on ebay as there are six holds at the library which means I probably couldn't read it for months.

I highly recommend his books. The books in the series I'm reading now include The Walk, Miles to Go, and The Road to Grace.  Easy reading and very interesting.  Thanks Joy Bland for turning me on to them!

Well, off to the kitchen. I spent about an hour sewing little quilt squares together yesterday and am forcing myself to quit after an hour and move to another project.  Easier on my back for one thing. I need to press the pieces today and sew more squares together.

I also started a counted cross stitch picture to work on at night while watching tv.  I've been avoiding larger scenes as I get bored with them but I'm determined to stick with this picture to the finish. I'm working on the sky  for now so it's not all that much fun but I'm close to being done and then I can get to the buildings and other parts of the farm scene.

Am taking the twins to the Bainbridge ferry on Thursday so Catie can pick them up and they'll spend a few days with Mary and Andy. They always have so much fun.  Okay, I've avoided getting back to work long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment