My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 16, 2012

MY FAVORITE SWEATSHIRT

 I pulled out my collections of newspaper clippings, magazine articles, cartoons, cards, old letters, etc, and while I'm not quite sure how it's all going to come together, I'm determined to get everything filed so I can find it when I need it.
One of the scrapbooks I came across was old newspaper articles from 1990 and 2000 on the Redskin controversy. I'd forgotten the letter I wrote on this subject a dozen years ago. Made me laugh when I read the letter appearing the next week saying my letter was bitter venting. All the opinions then are exactly the same thing being written this week in the Leader and on Facebook.  One side says they're proud to be a PTHS Redskin. The other side says we're bigoted racists who just don't know any better, and they're determined to right the wrong that we've done against Native Americans.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.  It's kind of a shame, though,  that people don't put as much energy into trying to repair real problems we live with these days.  Like inflated costs for health care, gas prices that gouge the pocketbook, our food and drug supply that we can't trust anymore, politicians who waste taxpayer's money, filthy language in movies and music, and what you have to pay for a candy bar......the list is endless.

Using politically correct language is all very well and fine, but at some point you have to use a little common sense and think for yourself. I feel kind of sorry for those folks who are offended by our school logo.  They're making a mountain out of a molehill but....that's okay.  They're entitled to their opinion just like I am.  And my opinion on this particular subject is the only one that matters to me.
R-E-R-E-R-E-D-S-K-I-K-I-K-I-N-S! GO REDSKINS!  (always did love that cheer)

                                                    MY FAVORITE SWEATSHIRT

No comments:

Post a Comment