My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 16, 2012

To the Bridge and back

I drove to the Hood Canal Bridge this morning so Mary wouldn't have to drive all the way into Port Angeles.  I got there early (it's what I do) and realized early on that I REALLY had to go pee.  Used to be I could hold it much better than I do these days.  Yeah, I know...too much information.  ha ha

Anyhow, I noticed a little beach park across the street from the parking area and was pretty sure it was considered a state park.  I drove over there hoping I'd find a sani-can....and I did.  Set back in the trees off the gravel road.  Sure never understand why they call them sani-cans.  Reeky-can would be more apt.

There were about half a dozen cars parked with people on the beach.  Noticed a big sign saying you had to have a state park pass to be there.  It sure is a shame that the pleasures of nature and our beautiful surroundings that we used to be able to visit freely are now requiring cash.  Sign of the times, I guess.  I took a couple of pictures of the bridge as I'd never seen it from this angle before.


The kids sure had a fabulous weekend.  They swam in Catie's pool, went to Wild Waves, went up in a helicopter, rode the big ferris wheel downtown, got presents, and got to pick their own restaurants for their birthday dinners.  Maddie picked Hard Rock Cafe and Hunter picked this fancy Italian place.  What made the most impression on him was that they took so long getting their order to the table that they gave them their meal free.  And it wasn't lost on Hunter that the total bill would have been close to, if not more than, $100!

He also told me Maddie gave money to a bum.  ha ha   While they were downtown waiting in line for the ferris wheel, this woman (who Maddie said had nice clothes) was upset because she was $6 short of needing ferry fare.  Maddie had just been given birthday money by Catie so she handed over $6 in her pocket.  Hunter chastised her later and said he's never giving money to bums.  Maddie insisted that she may or may not have been a panhandler. Her feeling is that she did a good deed and if she ever needed money, she would want someone to give her some.

Wednesday they'll go to the ceramics shop downtown and do some glass painting. (It's really a neat place)  That night they'll go to Appleby's in Sequim for their birthday dinner. I might tag along.


Here's a picture of some cloth bags my sister has made for packing home groceries.  They're quite nice and she's selling them at a good price. Call her at 360/379-3926 or email her at janieandnewman@yahoo.com
I've got several and use them for everything from the grocery store to the library to Walmart. They're very durable, double-stitched, and washable with secure handles.

Well, it certainly warmed up around here today.  I thought about turning on the heat when I first got up but now I have shorts on.  My project for tomorrow is to sort through the piles of papers and notes that I've got here and there and everywhere.  As I get going on my book, I have to stop and research something and lose way too much time looking.  I need to get organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment