My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday afternoon

Everyday I seem to get a little better so I'm hoping that June bug is close to being a thing of the past.  I stayed in bed until almost 8 this morning, and I think that always makes a big difference in energy levels. I put in a half hour on my bike yesterday and today. Still hurts, of course, but I know over time it will get easier.

My memoir book is underway and I'm always contented when a writing project takes hold.  So glad I decided to start over using the Word program on my old PC as it's much easier and more comfortable as I edit and insert pictures.  One problem I have encountered, though, is that I often have to stop and research something and sometimes that means going online with my laptop.  I've been unplugging it when I used the PC as I thought maybe it would generate too much juice to have both computers running.

For some reason, I thought laptops could function for quite a while "on their own battery" but mine starts sending me messages telling me I only have a couple hours left so I need to plug it in again. I'm going to have to get down on my knees (major undertaking there) and see if I can't figure out exactly what my laptop is plugged into.  I assume it's my wireless rotor (router? not sure how that's spelled).
Anyhow, Can laptops just be plugged into an outlet in the kitchen and then "pick up signals" from my router here in the office?  I probably should know that but I don't.

I read an obit in the Port Angeles paper this morning that just made me shake my head. I've always thought obits should be as complete as possible because often times, children or other relatives only have obits to go on when researching genealogy. Still....people need to use some common sense when they write up details.  Too much information doesn't always do the guy justice.  We all have failings in various areas of our lives but exposing them in an obit doesn't seem right somehow.

Granted, I've shared information in my book and here on this blog from time to time that is probably more than I needed to share, but better me writing about my mistakes in life than someone else recording it when I'm dead.  I realize that most of my blog posts are lame as I share my latest yard sale purchase, my anger at television, my menu for supper, or what body part is causing me grief but this is a blog about my daily life, and boring or not, it is what it is.

On that note, here's a picture of my latest wall hanging.  I had bought this magnetic 3-D flying pig at Wild Birds in Discovery Bay and while it wouldn't work on double paned windows, I rigged up a picture frame to display my pig.  Jenni said she could make it better with her scrapbooking supplies and boy, was she right. Here's the before and after...



I just finished a Dagwood sandwich for lunch.  I have to talk myself out of running to a fast food drive-in some days at noon time.  Luckily, I had plenty of stuff on hand.  Made a delicious sandwich using turkey, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and cucumbers. Topped it off with an applesauce cookie that I made yesterday.  I've been eating leftovers for the last week and finally, the fridge is empty of chicken and rice casserole and bean soup.

I can't seem to get in the cooking mood today, though, so I'm leaning towards a breakfast meal come supper time.  I do love waffles or pancakes or hash browns and eggs.  The TV lineup, as usual, looks like crap. I am taping 'The Queen' at 4 o'clock, though.  Helen Mirren has always been a favorite.  At 10 pm on A&E, I'll probably tape Longmire.  I also have 'Deliverance' taped from yesterday so I can fall back on that.

I've got several books going at once again.  I told myself I wasn't going to do that but I never listen to me. Books that I'm into now include the following:  The Last Dance by Ed McBain, Downhill Change by Donna Morrissey, The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers, Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans, Waylon, An autobiography, and One Woman's West (recollections of the Oregon Trail).  I've also got Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer waiting in the wings, along with The Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway.

I checked this video out at the library a couple days back called 'Homestead Blessings, the Art of Quilting.'  It was kind of dorky.  One girl kept saying "you know" (which drives me NUTS!) and the mother used an old treadle machine to sew a plain block quilt together.  I did google them later and discovered they have a whole website called The West Ladies.

Got a call from my ex-husband this morning telling me one of his best friends back in Kansas had died.  I'd never met the guy but John and him went to school together and stayed in touch. John even went to visit him a few years ago.  I asked what he died of and he said he was hit by lightning.  They have a lot of storms back there.  I think I'm always going to be a little scared of lightning now.  I'm going to Google the Ottowa Herald later to see if they run a story about it. His name was Ronnie Nicholas.

Well, I guess I'll wander into the kitchen now and start another project.  I moved my sewing machine to the kitchen table and set up my box of cut-out quilt squares so I can begin sewing them together.  Have a supply of audio books nearby too.  And various crossword puzzle books to work on while I eat.  And that's my life now.

Below is terrific song called Sylvia's Mother, sung here by Bon Jovi. I looked this up on Wikipedia and found this information:
Sylvia's Mother" is autobiographical, with songwriter Shel Silverstein drawing upon his unsuccessful attempt to revive a failed relationship. Silverstein had been in love with a woman named Sylvia Pandolfi, but she would later be engaged to another man. Desperate to continue the relationship, Silverstein called Pandolfi's mother, Louisa, but she instead told him that the love had ended.[

A sequel titled "Mrs. Avery" has been written and performed by British folk rockers The Men They Couldn't Hang. The song begins years later when the main character of "Sylvia's Mother" is divorced, has children of his own, and happens to find an old picture of Sylvia which prompts him to call her mother again.





And  here's a video about the real Sylvia's mother.  Interesting to hear her talk after having heard this song so many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment