My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 9, 2012

It's crowded out there!

I drove over to pick up Hunter and Sammy so we could go up to the high school and pick up Maddie. Just getting from my house to theirs was an obstacle course. The road I take was closed so I went around and then got behind several city trucks holding up traffic.  Once I got to Jenni's house, we drove back here to drop off the dog.

I wanted to go to Walmart and he doesn't travel well. Whines and carries on the whole time.  We put Sammy in the back yard and took off for the high school.  Got stopped midway by cops redirecting traffic off the highway.  I was wondering why I was seeing so many cars trying to get up to the main drag. Anyhow, there was an accident somewhere so they had a tripod and camera set up and lots of police cars directing people away. 

He had me pull a Uturn and I tried again to get up to the high school.  I was a little late and Maddie had a friend whose mother was also late so she came with us.  She called her mom on my cell and apparently she was nearby and angry that the girl didn't wait. Sigh...I would have been mad too.

I stopped by Serenity House to drop off a box of donations and then started for McDonalds. I didn't get very far and noticed that traffic was backed up way more than it should have been.  Decided trying to get through to McDonalds and then Walmart was going to be more trouble than it was worth. Turned into Jack in the Box and was 7th in line.  After a while (when I still hadn't made it even to the speaker box) I decided the hell with their fast service and left.  Luckily, I was far enough back in line so I could leave.

I decided we'd try a pizza place but once on Front Street the kids told me the pizza place was back a few blocks.  So, we opted for another pizza place on Lincoln.  After a block of more traffic, I suggested Dairy Queen down on the waterfront and they were agreeable to that.  We walked in and placed our order and then  brought the sandwiches home to eat.  Was an expensive little outing for me too. Close to $18 and all I got was a fish sandwich.

I'll try for Walmart later tonight or maybe early tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I put in an hour of yard work in the back.  Decided I was killing myself trying to plow through those weeds with my little battery trimmer.  Am hoping I can borrow Wayne's gas weedeater. My electric one is kind of hard to use.

I was dragging after 55 minutes and decided I'd labored enough for today.  Came in and sewed a few quilt squares together and pressed them up.  Gotta trim them a tad before I sew more.  I thought it would be fun when I started but for some reason, I'm not really having fun. I'm going to hit the recliner now and put my feet up.

The kids are off playing Hunger Games with other kids in the neighborhood.  I don't know exactly what they do but I think it's a form of glorified hide and seek. Maddie asked me for a potato for her gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment