My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A children's rhyme

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, he bumped his head on the top of his bed, and couldn't get up in the morning.
Looked this up on wikipedia and thought it was interesting..

  • A children's book of the same name, written by Kin Eagle and illustrated by Rob Gilbert, expands on this rhyme to show what happens to the old man in all sorts of weather

  • The rhyme is featured in the song "It's Raining," in the 1962 debut album by Peter, Paul, and Mar

  • "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)", a duet between Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer, is based around this song

  • Jose Feliciano sang this as part of his release, "(Listen to the Falling) Rain".

  • This rhyme is sung by children at the end of Supertramp's song, "It's Raining Again".


  • And it is raining pretty darn good this a.m.  I'm still going to go out in it, though. I might go over to the library to research old Leaders on microfilm and check out their gift store for book bargains. Also need to travel across town to pick out a double bed mattresss.

    My low back was causing me so much grief the last couple of days that I figured it had to be the mattress I had started sleeping on recently.  Just too soft, I suspect. My daughter, Susan, is going to help me transport a new one on Saturday as she's got a pickup and I want to save the $25 delivery fee the bed store charges. Course I'll probably give Sue gas money and have her take me to the dump so I'll end up paying.  Still, I'd rather pay family.  Maybe I'll give Goodwill a call and see if they take mattresses.

    I bought some hair coloring yesterday when I hit Walmart.  My hair doesn't look gray until I actually take the time to look at it.  Usually, my hair is such a damn mess I don't look at it anymore than I have to.  I should probably go get a trim but I'll wait a while.  Had to pay $10 for slug bait yesterday and I'm still smarting over that.  I don't see how people can afford to have gardening as a hobby.  But then everything costs too much these days.  Still, I thought the price was out of line.  If I hadn't invested so much energy and time into planting 80+ tulips, I might have skipped the slug bait altogether.
    My old neighbor in Sequim gave me a needlepoint picture she had done so I decided to treat myself and have it stretched and framed.  I knew I would never get it up on the wall if I didn't.  Sure is nice.
    I took a picture of it to mail to her since she doesn't have a computer. Will need to stop by Walgreens while I'm out and about in this rain.  Will probably have to pick the kids up at the bus stop too if this weather continues.

    I slept in the sewing room last night on my single bed that I had switched out of the master bedroom. Made me think of ways I could arrange the room to make it more user friendly.  I've got a lot of blankets that need to be stored in a bin, for one thing.
    Well, off to the kitchen sink to make an attempt at being pretty.  I know...Pretty hopeless.    ha ha
    Here's that song by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Theirs was the first LP I ever bought---back in 1962.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment