My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sunny day--YEA!


Pandora Radio Station is streaming in over my TV and Chuck Berry is rockin' me out!  Decided he needed to be on my blog this morning, as well, so I found him on YouTube.  Love YouTube.  Love Pandora more!

Threw on the steam to finish my book yesterday.  Well, finished enough anyhow.  The disk is at the printer  so I can get one hard copy to proof--yet again.  I wasn't entirely thrilled with their customer service yesterday so I'm seriously thinking of taking my business elsewhere. She's never had a real good bedside manner but when I'm getting ready to pull out my checkbook, I expect to be given the time of day!  I did pursue another rate quote because as Tommy Lee Jones said in Lonesome Dove..."there's no excuse for bad behavior!"

Merle Haggard is playing now--'I don't hang my hat on the same nail too long'.  Now, THAT'S a country song!

Just finished a breakfast of oatmeal, toast, OJ, and coffee.  Noticed as I was gathering my utensils and dishes while unloading the dish strainer that I had to put more than one piece of silverware back in the sink for rewashing.  The twins occasionally find a dish or pan I've stored away dirty too. They always remark on how gross that is.     "Yeah," I tell them.  "Old people can't see that good so you might as well get used to it."  And believe me.  They always look closely now at everything.

I remember back in 1982 when I was visiting my aunt Velna up in Bellingham.  She was living in this senior apartment house and I went to get a glass out of the cupboard.  All her glasses were mason jars which I didn't particularly want to drink out of.  Aunt Velna never ever forgot the depression and she lived her life around the memories of being poor.  She felt mason jars from the Goodwill was better than spending money on drinking glasses.  I saw they were kind of dirty and I mentioned that. (I was low on tact in my younger days)  Anyhow, she scolded me for not  going to the sink to wash it. And for criticizing her in the first place.  I was ashamed of myself so her scolding did the trick. I never forgot it. Apparently, God is just paying me back now.

I got lost in Port Angeles yesterday. Well, not lost exactly. Just couldn't find where I needed to be. My afternoon was spent running here and there. Went to the printers, Walgreens, and back home. Took Maddie to her house to get softball equipment and then over to her field to play. Hunter and I proceeded on to Safeway because I didn't have "any good stuff in the house" and he intended to help me shop.  We returned home and after a quick bowl of soup, I went to pick up Maddie and take her to this church on the hill her friend wanted her to come to for youth activities.

Neither of us had looked that closely at the map so I drove in circles trying to find the place.  Maddie has a bad habit of pulling a fresh sheet of paper out of my printer and writing a note or two on it--and then leaving it on my desk or kitchen counter.  Going to have to discuss that with her.  I have Velna genes in me and that's wasteful.  I finally flagged down a couple teenagers in the general area and they had me follow them to the church. Huge place!  Maddie didn't want to go in alone so I accompanied her in only to find it was in the other building.  I drove over there and had to go in a second time.

Sitting here watching the birds fly in wondering where their feeder is.  Think I'll hang it back out there for today and then move it to the backyard.  The deer continue to stop and see what's cookin' on their trek around the neighborhood.

It was pretty nippy out yesterday. My morning porch looked like this.


It stayed cold all day too.  I spent a little bit of time in the sewing room and sewed a few squares together for a wall hanging.  The red hearts were done with paper piecing and I think I'm going to try applique that way again as I liked it.


I'm going to have to spend a little bit more time and energy on fixing supper.  Too many times my meals are boring with a capital B.  I fixed Chinese food a couple nights ago (out of cans) and it was as bland and tasteless as anything I've ever eaten.  Not wanting to toss out the leftovers, I threw them in a pan of chicken broth to make soup for last night.  Boring again.  Time to haul out the cookbooks and start reading.  Way too easy to get lazy about preparing meals when you're only cooking for yourself.  I probably should concentrate on finding a boyfriend.  I always cook better when I'm cooking for somebody else.  Well, not always, but at least I try a little harder.

Yesterday (or maybe it was the day before that) was a 20-year anniversary for me.  No smoking! And Happy Belated Birthday yesterday to my pal, Susie Bishop Bara.

Granddaughter Catie is coming tomorrow with Mary and Andy.  At some point this weekend, the whole gang is going to Hunger Games at the movie house.  Maddie has been so excited about it.  I read the book (it's good) but  I think I'll pass on sitting in a theatre.  Just too uncomfortable the last couple of times and I'm switching my movie viewing over to rented disks or Netflix.

I've  been experimenting with various "homemade" inserts in my shoe to try and alleviate this dang pain that I've been putting up with since last July.  I don't want to jinx myself but I'm hoping the combination of pads I'm using now is helping. I still have a problem but it doesn't get real bad until the end of the day or if I've been on my feet quite a bit.  I'll just have to deal with it, I guess.  Same with the earaches and tinnitis.  If I can bypass strokes, heart attacks, alzheimers, and cancer, I'll be happy. Well, as happy as you can be when your body feels like hell!  Ha!

Watched 'Dancing with the Stars' last night.  Another show I have to tape and watch later so I can FF through the ads and fluff.  I must say--the dancers were pretty darn good for first time out.

Gotta vacuum the whole house this morning. My back hurts just thinking about it. But...company's comin' and you gotta' make an effort.  Think I'll run a mop over the kitchen floor too.  Optometrist office just rang and said my glasses are ready for pick up.  I opted for the bigger frames. The small ones (while I probably looked better in them) made my eyes strain.  Maybe I'll have the girls down there take before and after pictures of me.

Last night I started browsing through my book again (Where are they buried and how did they die?)
Found this on Sigmund Freud:  His book 'The  Interpretation of Dreams' was a masterpiece of dream analysis, autobiography, mind theory, and history.  He said mental experiences and entities, like physical ones, are part of nature, and there are no mere accidents in mental procedures. The most nonsensical notion, the most casual slip of the tongue, the most fantastic dream, must have a meaning and can be used to demystify our often incomprehensible thoughts and actions.

In 1923 he was diagnosed with cancer of the jaw, but he continued to smoke heavily, insisting it was the tobacco that gave him his creativity and great capacity to work. By 1938, he had undergone 31 operations to remove tumors and had been fit over and over again with extensive prosthesis to replace half his mouth. The Nazies invaded Austria and the dying Freud fled to London leaving behind all his possessions. By the next summer, he was 83 and couldn't eat. He was surrounded by a mosquito net to keep the flies from his open wounds. He had his doctor inject him with two lethal doses of morphine. His ashes are interred in a Greek vase in London.  Interesting, huh?

Well, off to the  household chores. Think I'll stop and buy a Mega ticket when I pick up my glasses.
I could use $290 million.





No comments:

Post a Comment