My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Is it going to be a snow day?

It's about 3:30 on this cold Saturday afternoon.  We had some fast and furious snow flakes comin' down but it's quit now and the sky even looks blue. Perhaps tomorrow the snow will come back.

It looked real dark and scary at 8:30 a.m. and that naturally made me think I probably needed something at the store.  (once the snow starts, I'm housebound)  I drove down to Safeway and bought some red potatoes, one big russet (love to have a baked potato with goodies on it now and then) and picked up a couple of tomatoes, some coffee creamer, and hotdogs.  Man, have hotdogs ever gotten expensive!  I opted for some turkey ones that were half the price of the beef.

I came home and started a pot of coffee, stripped my bed and threw a load in the washer, made some oatmeal for breakfast, fed the fish, and went outside to fix up the bird feeders a bit.  I should go buy some more as I'm out and what little bit I added brought in quite a few birds.  One especially, was very colorful.  Larger than a robin; I'll have to look in my bird book and see if I can figure out what he was.

Couldn't find anything interesting on tv and then I remembered I have unlimited movies on Netflix that I can stream in. Man oh man, is that ever a nice thing to have. Thanks again Joe!

My new computer is still a tad intimidating but I'm sure I'll be the boss sooner or later.  My daughter informed me that the reason my cursor is probably jumping around is that I'm accidently touching the keypad mouse area.  I'm trying to learn to position my hands in such a way that I'm not coming in contact with it.  I could go invest in another keyboard (and I might) but I really prefer typing on the laptop.  Can't get used to the mouse, however. I'll probably use a plug-in or wireless mouse indefinitely.

I cleaned the garage yesterday morning and moved files from my old computer to my jumpdrive yesterday afternoon.  Took me quite a while to clean up the hard drive but it's all done now. For the time being, I think I'll have two computers. Am I repeating myself?  Yeah, probably.

Was interesting to see some of the emails I had kept.  Found a few from 2007 that were particularly amusing about the twins. I know I've shared these before but it's been over four years so I'll share a second time.  Besides I need practice on going to find where I put them and to cut and paste. Same with pictures. I'll post a couple of those as well....once I find them.
March 2007 from Maddie:
If a leprechaun granted me three wishes, this is what they would be....
A TV in my room
A mall in my room
A hot tub
"I think I'm lucky because......(This was for St. Patricks day). She wrote.....
I have a twin bruther. He's my best frend.
June 2007:
Jenni told me she was furious beyond words yesterday because Hunter came home from school with head lice. Meant a trip to the store for special spray and soap and a trip to the laundramat and lots of other work details too.
Maddie shared with her teacher the next day that Hunter had lice and mama said the F word a whole bunch of times last night.
Feb 2007
Jenni picked me up this morning to take a spin in her new car as we both needed to hit Costco. Very nice and she's like a high school kid with her first set of wheels. The twins haven't seen the car yet but she's picking them up at school this afternoon. When she was explaining their new car to them, Hunter asked what color it was. Jenni replied: "it's gold."
His eyes got big with wonder and he said: "Ohhhhhh. We're rich."


April 2007
Jenni called today to tell me a "Maddie story". Seems when Jenni went to pick them up at school this afternoon, Maddie's teacher took Jenni aside and says: "I have a story for you." Jenni adores this teacher. She's in her 30's and has kids around the same age.
Anyhow, they were told to make as many words as they could from the word "SPRING"
One of Maddie's words was PIS.
The teacher asked her to use it in a sentence.
Maddie says "you pis me off"
The teacher informs her that that is an adult word only and besides, it's spelled with two S's.

Jenni called a while ago to tell me the questions her kids are asking now.
Hunter wanted to know why there was so much advertisement in the paper for Easter baskets when the Easter bunny brings them?
Jenni told him it's for adults who want a basket too.
Maddie asked why adults get hair down there in their private parts.
Jenni explained it's just something that occurs when you become an adult and your body changes.
Maddie said: Well, I hope mine stays plain.
Well, here we go again. My blog just posted and I didn't ask it to.  Also lost the sentence I was in the middle of writing.  I wonder where it went.  It wasn't all that interesting anyway. 

I took the rest of my small pork roast from last night's dinner and cut it up and threw it in the crockpot with barbeque sauce. Plan to make bbq sandwiches for supper tonight. Took a little piece of it, though, and ground it up with pickle slices, carrot slices, and onion. Mixed in mayo and sour cream and I have a delicious sandwich spread. Yum!
I spent the afternoon working on a jigsaw puzzle.  500 pieces and I finished it. Yay!  I got four puzzles for Xmas this year and am anxious to start one about the fifties.  Have got to get brave and try to play with my new toy that converts music cassettes to my hard drive.  My stereo($12 at the thrift store) has the necessary jacks in the back.
I seem to be on a lot of mailing lists for catalogs.  Every now and then I browse through them. Did you know that most items (if you search online) you can find at a huge savings?  I saw a book that I found on half.com and the shipping was free.  Called "Where are they buried and How did they die?"  Interesting tidbits on famous folks.

I'm reading 'The Hunger Games' right now.  Maddie asks me everyday how far I've gotten. She's a huge reader.  I'm glad.

And before I forget...CONGRATS AND WAY TO GO GIRL! TO GRANDDAUGHTER CATIE!
She's quit smoking and I know that's not an easy road to walk.  SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

I'm not sure if I have a cold or a touch of sinusitis.  I'm definitely feeling icky poo but I keep hoping it's because of the bad air I've heard we're experiencing right now.  And on that note, I think I'll go look for something to squirt up my nose.  Ha ha

























No comments:

Post a Comment