My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, January 27, 2012

Last Friday of January

Happy Birthday to my pal, Mary Gaboury!

Hunter has been reading Harry Potter this week and found himself liking it very much. So much so, he wanted to go hunting for volume 2.  We went to 7 places and I couldn't believe we couldn't find volume 2. Or any Harry Potter.  Seems like I see them all the time at garage sales.  We were more interested in buying used so I was surprised that we weren't successful.  I could have bought them cheap on half.com but you'd still have to pay $4 for shipping.

It was fun hitting the second hand stores, though. We went into two antique shops downtown and both of us wished that we could have browsed longer. I had left Maddie home and Hunter was getting hungry.  He did mention that he was going to go back to that antique store. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

We did find another stereo with 'output' knobs on the back so I picked that up.  Only $7 at Goodwill so I'm hoping it works for the project I want to start converting my cassettes.  We'll see.

Am going to the movies this weekend.  Either a double feature tomorrow or one show Saturday and one show Sunday. Plan to see The Iron Lady and The Descendants. 

Took the memory foam off my bed this morning to see if my body aches improve.  I know it's partly sciatica because my left fingers keep going numb.

Maddie was complaining about the new cafeteria food/people they have at her school now.  Seems she was going through the line and requested mashed potatoes without the gravy. The server refused. Told her she had to have both. So she asked for the gravy on the side and the server questioned her about whether she was going to eat it or waste it.  Somebody in that kitchen has a power issue.  I could see "maybe" suggesting a kid eat their veggies but really!  Gravy?!

Here's a picture I took of a tree across the street from the thrift store Hunter and I hit on 8th Street this afternoon.  I'm not sure if it was one or two trees but it sure is big.

And here is the last of my snow in the front yard. This is where I built my snow witch.

From my death book:

Benny Hill: (Jan. 21, 1925-April 20, 1992) Benny's neighbors noticed a bad odor coming from his apartment and found him very much as he had lived his life, alone. In front of his tv, he was slumped on the couch, surrounded by cardboard boxes unwashed dishes and piles of videotapes. He left no survivors and is buried in England, after suffering a heart attack.

Alfred Hitchcock: (Aug 13, 1899-Apr 29, 1980)  Severely arthritic and suffering from kidney failure for a year, Alfred died of heart failure at age 80. He was cremated and his ashes were scattered but no one knows where.

Andy Kaufman: (Jan. 17, 1949-May 16, 1984) Andy developed a nagging cough and when it got worse, he had numerous test and they found a rare, large-cell carcinoma of his lungs. It was in an advanced stage and incurable. He had never smoked and was strict health food fanatic so when the news became public, many believed he was crafting a performance. Some arrived at his funeral expecting a reception from him in one or another of his personas. Many even poked him when they thought no one was looking. He died at age 35 and is buried in NY.

Health tips:  How to stay safe--
Don't open the door unless you know who is on the other side.
Don't trust people just because they look respectable.
Be wary of imposters like plumbers, gas and water inspectors, police, etc. Check credentials.
Lock you door --and windows.
Always keep your keys secure.
Don't keep your car keys on the same key ring as your house keys.
Don't leave your garage door opener in your unlocked car.

No comments:

Post a Comment