My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, January 16, 2012

Still learning....

I spent most of my morning sitting here trying to learn "new stuff."  It's hard learning new stuff.  I finally figured out how to enlarge the font on my laptop screen so I read everything without squinting. Ended up increasing the size to 150%.  Must be an age thing.Yesterday I figured out I had to be in a certain "mode" in order to post YouTube videos on here. I didn't have to be in that mode on my old computer, though.

My cursor continues to hop around if I stop typing for any length of time.  I thought it had something to do with me touching the built-in mouse but I don't think that's the case.  I knew I wanted to learn Gmail better and that took longer than I anticipated.  Can't say that I'm all that enthused with it as it was much easier maneuvering in Outlook Express.  Outlook has been changed to a program called Windows Live and I may go back and forth depending on how things cooperate.

Gmail allowed me to make special "contact" lists so I put about 45 people in my 1961 classmates folder, another couple dozen in my family folder and a dozen in my "most frequently emailed folder."
Once I figure out how to place the contact I want in the TO: (or BCC) line, I think I'll like it better. Right now it's kind of cumbersome and every job I want to do like delete or forward or reply takes me a while to accomplish.  Course this is causing me to NOT be on the computer as much as usual. Too stressful.    But I know time will fix that.

The road in front of my house looks clear and I'm tempted to drive over to the airport nursery to buy some bird seed.  I made sure I had plenty of food in the house for me (it's all about me, 'ya know) but the birds have been cleaning out their feeders and I don't have anything on hand to replenish.  Yesterday I had a couple of pancakes left over and rather than toss them out, I cut them up in pieces and threw them on the back porch.  They're gone now and I think it was the crows.

I guess it's obvious I don't have a hell of a lot to talk about when I'm housebound.  I suppose there are a few people out there who would say I don't have much to talk about even when I'm not housebound. Ha!

Wish I could get this room at a comfortable temperature.  It's not a large room so when I turn on the heat, it gets warm quickly. But then....it's too warm and I have to turn it off again.  Then it's too cold. I know.  I should be thankful I even have a heater and am not homeless....but still....

I've been trying to establish one way or the other if the memory foam mattress (from Costco) is a good thing or a not so good thing.  It's very comfortable to sleep on but I "think" it makes my low back and hips hurt after a night on it.  I've been alternating it with my harder mattress between laundry of the sheets to see if I can notice a difference.  It's hard to tell if my achiness is mattress-related or because I'm old and obese.  I'm leaning towards blaming it on the foam.  ha ha

Weatherman is talking snow showers again tonight but he's also predicting rain to wash it away. Fine with me. Bring on that rain!  I watch the traffic on Snoqualmie Pass roads and it gives me the creeps. So glad I don't have to drive that highway.  Or any highway.  Weather sure is playing havoc on my skin and scalp.  Dry and itchy.

 I got a little sewing done earlier in the day and even managed to finish a book.  Maddie, you'll be happy to hear I read 'The Hunger Games.'  Quite a good read too. Now I'll have to start the second book.

I made a big pot of soup a couple hours ago.  Leftover soup.  Meaning I threw in a little of this and a little of that from the fridge.  Even a small bowl of spaghetti and some barbequed pork and 2 chicken thighs.  Looks weird but smells fine and I do like to use up leftovers.  I'll have it for a couple of dinners with a salad and maybe make some dumplings for the third helping.

Watched the Golden Globes last night. Had to stop and tape it after 30 minutes, though, as the commercials and long-winded speeches were driving me nuts!  I watched it later and fast forwarded through everything that bored me.  Like Ricky Gervais thinking he was funny.  I had seen few of the movies nominated.  Saw The Ides of March but it didn't impress me.  I hope to see all of them when they hit video--especially The Descendants, Iron Lady, Hugo, War Horse, and a couple others.

I always enjoy watching the female stars to see what they're wearing. Most looked drop dead gorgeous.  Like Angelina Jolie.  Jane Fonda looked good too, I thought.  Meryl Streep (whose acting is A+ always looks like she dressed in a hurry.)  And while most (men and women) had nice hairdos, a whole lot of them needed to visit a stylist.  This from someone whose hair always looks TERRIBLE!

I see the news is running low on news again as they're telling us what foods to eat to avoid heart disease, diabetes, and strokes.  Ho Hum......Have you seen the Washington State lotto commerical shot in downtown PT?  Has a guy with red pants and it's kind of funny.

Well, I got about a dozen responses so far to my request for Rec Center memories. Maybe I'll wait another day and start writing for my Leader blog in the morning.  Drop me a line if you have memories to share.  cedarrose61 at hotmail.com

Well, that's it for now. Stay warm.  Here's a video (if I'm successful at posting it, that is)

No comments:

Post a Comment