My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Working the old brain

Been sitting here all morning long muttering (and using a few swear words from time to time) as I try to talk myself through the various steps needed to learn my new laptop, printer, and their available features. First thing I wanted to get under my belt was figuring out how to download pictures from my camera, edit them for viewing, put them where I could find them again, and attach in emails. I think I'm on top of it, for the most part, but I'll continue to play around all this month as I acquaint myself with my new toy.
Here's one of the first pictures I took to experiment with.


I can now sit and look out the window as I type--or glance up at the TV.  Am finding the TV a little distracting, however, as my brain is being called on to concentrate a little harder and it can't handle too much side stimulation.  As I look around the computer room, kitchen, and living room, I've become even more aware of how I'm surrounded with gadgets.
This is my Roku receiver on top of the television. (plus a really cool little plate that Mary Norton brought me from Africa). Next to my recliner are remotes for the tv,dvd,vcr, and now roku. Here in the computer room, I've got a mouse next to my laptop and I've picked it up more than once to try and change the tv channel.  I've got two television remotes--one for the tv and one for the vcr. I also have my WIFI receiver, my cable box receiver, and my external hard drive box.

I'm not  done with gadgets yet, though.  I need to borrow a stereo PLEASE from anybody who has one with external jacks on the back. (where you plug in those red and white knobs)  I'm kind of surprised how elusive a stereo with those jacks are.  I was at Mary N's house yesterday and while she had three stereos, none would work. I may browse Goodwill if I don't hear from somebody this month.

I picked up a pretty nice printer/scanner at Costco but it took a while to get it installed all the way through. (sorry Joe)  I had him on the line as he tried to talk me and Hunter through it but he was ready to pull out his hair after a while as he'd hear us pushing buttons.
"WHAT'S THAT SOUND? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHO IS PUSHING BUTTONS? STOP!"

I  finally had to hang up and tell him we'd try later. Too much stress for both of us.

Jenni just called to say Maddie is staying home today (or at least this morning) to see if she feels better. Apparently, she called Jenni at work to relate this:
"I threw up."
Where?
Behind the black chair.
Did you clean it up?
Well, I put a towel over it so the dog wouldn't eat it.
You have to clean it up.
I don't know how.
Get  paper towels and pick it up.
Eweeew.

hee hee

Well, I think I'll move on out to the sewing machi=ne for a while. Been at this screen too long and I'm getting tired.  Course I've been up since 5:45 a.m.  IMainly because my back hurt so much, I figured I'd be better off on my feet.  I did a few stretching exercises on top of the bed and EVERY move I made HURT!  I'm obviously way overdue for doing those stretching moves like I had planned to do on a daily basis. Will I never learn?!

Maybe I'll go investigate Roku again. Pandora (music channel) is featured on there and I do love my tunes.

I found it interesting this  morning that the news said statins might up your chances for diabetes and baby aspirins aren't as helpful as they originally thought.  It's no wonder I question everything I hear  about health these days. Nobody can make up their mind about what's right and what isn't.

I got a haircut yesterday. Way overdue, as usual.  I look better but not good enough to post my picture.  Course that's never stopped me before. Ha!

Oh..and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY COUSIN JIMMY IN VANCOUVER, WA. Think I'll go browse my computer file and see if I can't find one of him.  Here's one of him and his sister, Linda.


1 comment:

  1. Joyce,

    I have a device to put cassette tapes into my PC. Then I can burn CDs or put music on my 8mm films. I plug the red & white RCA plugs into my PC & use the internal speakers.You may not have the ports on a laptop for it. It will also hook up to my stereo to play the cassettes. Also have one for converting records, but have yet to use it.
    Arlis

    ReplyDelete