My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Takin' a Break

1 o'clock in the afternoon and the rains are coming down hard.  Sure makes me appreciate the retirement years knowing I can sit here and just watch the weather.  I decided I needed to take a little break from the sewing machine.  I like sewing yet I also hate it!  Most of the time it's relaxing and fun but when things don't line up the way they're supposed to, I often wish I was into woodworking instead.  Course then I'd probably cut off a finger or ruin perfectly good pieces of expensive wood.

Most of my quilts are singlebed, crib, or even lap size.  Just not enough room for me to work on larger pieces.  Or enough patience.  I don't actually have the skills (or knowledge) to finish up quilts easily.  No matter how slowly I go and accurate I try to be, when it gets down to putting the backing and batting and cover together, my project ends up looking like somebody who has just made her first quilt ever!

Since I'm trying to use up a couple bins full of scrap material (small pieces for the most part), my quilts don't end up being as pleasing to the eye.  I suppose if I'm going to make specific patterns, I really should use the same colors throughout.  My "almost done blankets" look like something a very unstable person put together.  Oh wait, that is the case!   ha ha ha ha ha

Today I thought I'd use this iron-on batting I bought to see if it made things easier.  It kind of did but when I carried the blanket over to the sewing machine to sew down the center seam, my stitches got smaller and smaller and smaller.  This happens to me every time.  No matter how long I set the stitch.  Happens even with a walking foot.  I try to hold the material up off the presser foot but it's hard to sew an accurate seam that way. 

I just don't understand why this happens.  I can "test sew" a small piece first and I'll get long stitches the way I want but let me put the blanket in there and pretty soon, my stitches are so little and tight, I just pray I don't have to rip anything out.  Grrrrr.

I haven't got the seams sewed on this one yet but I may finish today or tomorrow.


I'm thinking I might need to put the cover on the sewing machine later  this month and move on over to another hobby--like genealogy or writing.  Maybe both.  I know I need to have a project going all the time.  Gives me a reason to crawl out from under the covers every morning.
And speaking of a project.....I do have something I need to get started on.  Transferring my music cassettes to my computer.  My new little gadget I got for Christmas is sitting here making me feel guilty.  Actually, it's just a reminder of how intimidated I can get with new technology.  I read over the directions and while I think I understand most of it, I'm kind of afraid too.  I know you learn by experimentation but I've got it in my head that I might blow up my computer if I stick the wrong thing in the wrong outlet.  I guess I'll make that my goal for this week--tackle the techy toy!

Sammy follows me from whatever room I'm in to lay down and take another nap.  Earlier this morning, his barking drove me from the computer room as he voiced his disgust at black crows daring to walk around on his land.

Goin' by the book with Johnny Cash....terrific song...

No comments:

Post a Comment