My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Keepin' it Clean

I just looked a little closer at my laptop keyboard and am wondering how you are supposed to keep it clean.  I can squirt air on it now and then or just blow but sooner or later, there's bound to be an accumulation of "stuff" underneath.  I'm making a real effort not to eat near the laptop.  Food and drink is kept on the side desk away from my baby.  Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time worrying about dumb stuff.  Probably my OCD kicking in a bit.

I think Sammy has a touch of OCD too.  One of his kooky habits is to pull dirty laundry out of the basket I keep in the closet.  He just leaves it there on the floor after sniffing it, I guess.  It used to be underpants mostly so I figured he was longing for a female friend or something. Ha ha  Now it's towels and anything else he finds.  Poor dog.

I was hoping my investment in new shoe inserts would cure my foot problems overnight.  I've never been patient with things like that.  I did feel pretty good yesterday and I was confident the problem was solved.  But no, not yet.  Doctor thought maybe my sciatica might improve as well. Hasn't happened yet but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best as time goes on.

I spent a little time cooking this morning so now I won't have to fix meals for a while. Made a big pot of 15-bean soup and put up a few containers of cole slaw.

Actually, I made twice as much coleslaw as shown here.  Am hoping I can get to it all before it goes brown. Thought if I packaged it individually, it might stay fresher. We'll see.  Cabbage and beans. Yeah. We all know what that means.  It's a good thing I live alone.

I sure am enjoying my Roku that Joe gave me. I watched two more episodes of Damages last night and it's all I can do to keep myself from sitting down all day to watch more shows.  I think I'm going to discard (or at least tape over) all the music VHS tapes I have. Four are oldies and four are old country.  Being able to key in whatever type of music I want on Pandora is absolutely delightful. They bring up music similar to whoever you've chosen.  I made channels of music like Frank Sinatra, Roger Williams, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Randy Travis, Iris Dement, Bob Dylan, and 50's oldies.

I usually tune in Good Morning America and flip back and forth between them and the Today Show to see if they have anything worth watching.  Sometimes they do but more often than not, I'm disgusted. I turned them both off today. One had Nancy Grace and the other had Starr Jones. Both irritate me.

Looking over my to-do list and it's mostly down to chores I can do at my leisure....writing letters, vacuuming, and walking the dog.  I need to make a run down to the corner grocery to buy some lotto tickets too. I went online to study the numbers called frequently so I can get my new system going. I pick a few from the top of the list and a couple from the bottom.  I'm sure this is the way to win. Ha!

My daughter, Sue and I are going to the movies tomorrow night. It's hard to find someone who likes to see scary stuff.  The Grey shows only at 7 pm so I'll be home at a halfway decent hour. Thursday I'm heading into Port Townsend to do a couple of errands and have lunch. Hoping to stop at the Research Center too. I need to look up a few things.

Two of my favorite shows are on tonight--Southland and Justified.  Well, guess  I'll do a dab of sewing, work on my jigsaw puzzle a while, and take Sammy around the block.

Notes from my health secrets book:

Clarify your aspirations: Before dreams come true, you have to identify them. Ask yourself right now what you want most in the world and without stopping to think, write down the first three things that come into your head. Read your list, and put it away. Repeat the process weekly for six weeks. Then take out all the lists and study your answers. You will find a pattern. The responses that repeat themselves are your dreams.

Obits: Roy Rogers & Dale Evans -- They had a wonderful professional life but their personal life was full of tragedy. The only child they had together died from Down Syndrome before her 2nd birthday. They adopted four other children, one died in a church bus accident in 1964 and the next year another choked to death. The tragedies inspired Dale to write motivational books. Her first, Angel Unaware, was applauded for raising acceptance of retarded children in an era when most were institutionalized their entire lives.  Roy died of congestive heart failure in 1998. He was 86 years old. Dale died of heart failure three years later at age 88. They are buried in Apple Valley, CA.

Orson Welles: In his latter years Orson was obese and suffered several ailments. He was seated at his typewriter working on the script changes for his movie, The Other side of the wind, when he suffered a heart attack and died at age 70. He was cremated and his ashes shipped to the retired bullfighter, Antonio Ordonez, an old freind in Spain. His cremains were placed into an old brick well at Ordonez's country house which was then sealed with no designation of any kind marking the spot. (per Orson's request)

No comments:

Post a Comment