My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Who knows this?

I just went online to look up something on the social security death index and it seems to have disappeared.  I've been looking at this site for years and now it appears to be something you have to pay to see.  Is that right?  Does anyone know?  If that's the case, I find it very annoying!  Who decides, exactly, that they get to take ownership of these information sites and declare it's now a pay-for-view?

There's a whole lot of this maneuvering going on these days.  Pure greed in most cases. Perhaps all cases.  Like the movies that show up month after month and year after year on TV.  Movie stars get money every time their movie appears on television.  How much you want to bet, there's wheelin' & dealin' going on behind the scenes.  Somebody's making money on this repeat line-up of "selected" movies we get offered with no choice or variety.

I spent my morning on the computer answering emails, writing letters and cards, and working on a short Leader blog.  Finally pushed myself away from the monitor and strolled out to the kitchen where I spent the rest of the day working on quilt pieces.  I got 15 squares sewn together and then realized one of the squares was sewn incorrectly.  I debated on whether or not to rip it out and fix it and finally decided that "yes, I need to make it right."

I was so disgusted with the chore by then I laid everything aside and vowed to resume the project tomorrow morning.    Every couple of hours I'd take the dog outside to stretch his legs, pee, and smell what other dogs have been around. 

I got a Christmas letter in the mail today and like Kris Logue's, Ann Robson's was a delight. Made me rethink doing my letter next year.  After paying bills online, I decided I'd occupy the rest of my day in the recliner.  I never did take a nap although I was sure I would need one.

I went to bed at 10 last night and at 11:30 I realized insomnia was the word of the day.  Or in this case, the word of the night.  I got up for a while, fixed some cocoa, ate a cinnamon roll (yeah, that was dumber than dumb on my part) and I went back to read until 1:15.  I continued to toss and turn until maybe 3:30 and then I got up at 6:45 because I wasn't sleepy anymore. I'll never understand how this works.  I assume sleep is gonna come on easy tonight.  At least I'll have the rain on the roof  to listen to.

Brian McConaghy emailed wanting to know if I had any stories to relate about his dad. He was wanting to put something together for people to read later.  I think he's into family history a bit. I wrote a few paragraphs about running around with Pat and other Chimacum boys back in the early 60's and included a picture from Pat's senior album that I've always liked.  Shows 11 of 12 teens that were graduating in 1960 and had attended Chimacum school all the way through.  (Love looking at these old photos)


And now for your listening pleasure, here's the Everly Brothers.  Always loved their music. I saw them up close in Reno a few years ago.  Mary Gaboury was loving them too.  I don't think I ever laughed so hard in all my life as I did that night when Mary was showing the Everly Brothers her appreciation for their tunes.  Good laughs. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment